Falling down the archive.org rabbit hole 2/27: Highland Bagpipe 78s
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
The
archive.org's
78rpm collection
is truly vast: over 310,000 audio
recordings at the time of writing!
In it you can a diversity of wonderful audio recordings.
Here is where I discovered a trove of older highland bagpipe tunes.
And a handful more of highland bagpipe audio from other collections
after searching around, resulting in 105 tunes!
The sound quality as well as recording volume (especially the pre-1930
ones) of these audio recordings is often not great, so you may want to
not want all of these recordings in a playlist.
However, it really an amazing historical snapshot of piping.
You may notice that there are several of tunes where there are multiple digitized versions,
such as:
1949 KING GEORGE V'S ARMY (March) - MONYMUSK (Strathspey) - JENNY DANG THE WEAVER (Reel) - THE SHORES OR ARGYLL (Retreat) - PIPES AND DRUMS, SCOTS GUARDS (Training Battn.)
which has 3 versions:
1934 The Brig o' Doon; The 92nd Welcome to Edinburgh; The 92nd Volunteers; The Ballater Rant - PIPERS OF THE 2nd BATT. GORDON HIGHLANDERS has 2 copies:
Here are 21 highland bagpipe LPs that I discovered at archive.org , digitized from the original vinyl. I think my parents LP collection had at least half of them, so they are quite familiar to me. This collection has a couple of interesting entries: I originally thought that there were 2 copies of the 1959 Highland Pageantry - The Regimental Band And Pipes And Drums Of The Black Watch and 1959 Highland Pageantry - The Regimental Band And Pipes And Drums Of The Black Watch . Digging deeper, I discovered they were both published by RCA in 1959, with different catalog numbers: RCA Victor LSP-1525 and LPM-1525. They have slightly different front covers (mirror image of the same photo is used), with LSP having a banner overlaid on the top saying "LIVING STEREO...Stereo-Orthophonic High Fidelity Recordin...
After discovering the pipe music LPs and 78s , I decided to poke around for any additional highland bagpipe content at archive.org . I was able to find a couple of quite old scores and tutorials: The tutor for the highland bagpipe; with a selection of marches, quicksteps, strathspeys, reels and jigs amounting to one hundred tunesby William McKay in 1841 ; 1843 corrected and improved by Angus McKay 1878 - Angus McKay (wikipedia). A collection of pibaireachd 1880 - John MacCrimmon (wikipedia). Canntaireachd : articulate music, dedicated to the Islay Association 1880 - J.F. Campbell (wikipedia). Glen's collection for the great highland bagpipe ca.1880 - John Glen & Robert Glen . 2022 hardcover reprint at Amazon Hendersons Bagpipe Tutor Year? - Peter Henderson ...
Comments
Post a Comment